travel/travelling (nouns): Travel is the general term to describe going from one place to another.
We can talk about someone's travels to refer to the journeys he/she makes:
- His/her travels abroad provided lots of background material for novels he/she wrote.
- Travelling by boat between the islands is less tiring
than travelling by road.
- I don't do as much travelling as I used to now that I'm retired.
- Make sure you keep all your travel documents safely. You can obtain your travel tickets from the travel agents in the High Street if you don't want to order them over the Internet. Some of you may suffer from travel sickness. Air travel may well give you a bumpy ride. If you don't have a credit or debit card, make sure you take plenty of traveller's cheques with you.
- I love to travel during the summer holidays. This year I plan to travel all around the Iberian Peninsula.
journey from London to Newcastle by train can now be completed
in under three hours.
can talk about journeys taking or lasting a long
long did your journey take? ~ Oh, it lasted for ever. We
stopped at every small station.
occasionally use journey as a verb as an alternative to
travel, although it may sound a bit formal or poetic:
- We journeyed /travelled between the pyramids in Mexico on horseback.
We talk about day trips, round trips and business trips.
We make journeys usually, but we go on trips:
went on a day trip to France. We left at 6.30 in the morning
and returned before midnight the same day.
The round-trip ticket enabled me to visit all the major
tourist destinations in India.
Laurie? ~ He won't be in this week. He's gone on a business
trip to Malaysia and Singapore.
- The trip went well. It was an old car, but we didn't break down in four weeks of travelling
expeditions to The Antarctic have ended in disaster.
you going to join the expedition up the Amazon this year,
like the one Tom went on last year?
- Less dangerous and less adventurous are shopping expeditions when you are hunting down particular goods or bargains and fishing expeditions when you go in search of fish which are not easy to locate or catch.
- His one ambition in life was to go on safari to Kenya to photograph lions and tigers.
When we cruise, this is exactly what we do:
cruised all around the Mediterranean for eight weeks last
summer and stopped off at a number of uninhabited islands.
- My parents have seen nothing of the world so are saving up to go on a world cruise when they retire. They are hoping to take a trip on the cruise liner, the QE2, in 2004.
We don't talk about voyages very much in the present time, but historically they were very significant:
second voyage (1493 - 96) led to the discovery of several
Caribbean islands. On his third voyage (1498 - 1500) he discovered
the South American mainland.
(Christopher Columbus, the great explorer)